Have you heard? The Pantone 2018 color of the year is Ultra Violet! Here’s what Pantone says is behind the selection of the vibrant purple hue: “Ultra Violet communicates originality, ingenuity, and visionary thinking that points us toward the future. Complex and contemplative, Ultra Violet suggests the mysteries of the cosmos, the intrigue of what lies ahead, and the discoveries beyond where we are now.”
Speaking of the cosmos, the 2018 color of the year feels like a natural—albeit more subdued—extension of last year’s explosion of out-of-this-world holographic design details. Not feeling quite adventurous enough to pair up these two trends? Ultra Violet also works beautifully with the 2017 color of the year, Greenery!
Ultra Violet, lavender, eggplant—no matter the hue that’s used, purple is a distinct color with high impact. From subtle to completely saturated, keep reading for six ways to incorporate the 2018 color of the year into your wedding day!
6 WAYS (BIG AND SMALL) TO INCORPORATE ULTRA VIOLET INTO YOUR WEDDING DAY
1. Amp up your bridal eye makeup with Ultra Violet. Purple and green complement each other well, meaning a hint of Ultra Violet eyeshadow will look extraordinary on a bride with emerald eyes!
2. Gift your bridesmaids Pantone-inspired robes. No matter which color or pattern you choose, gifting your bridesmaids with matching robes on the morning of your wedding ensures a cohesive look for your getting-ready photos. Ready to start shopping? Our brides love the selection offered by Plum Pretty Sugar!
3. Infuse paper products with purple. Welcome bag tags, cocktail napkins, custom cups, and rehearsal dinner invitations are all perfect for giving a subtle nod to the 2018 color of the year. Feeling bold? Incorporate Ultra Violet into your wedding logo or duogram, and use it front and center on your wedding invitation and program!
4. Give floral arrangements a pop of purple. Anemones, hydrangeas, clematis, snapdragons, and orchids are all blooms that naturally come in a purple variety. Consult with your florist to identify flowers that will be a perfect match for your wedding season. If all purple everything is a bit too dramatic for your taste, consider intermixing purple stems with greenery and other flowers in complementary colors. Utilizing colorful vases and table decor to offset otherwise-neutral arrangements is another option!
5. Use violet lighting to enhance your reception venue. We’ll let you in on a little secret: Violet lighting is universally flattering! In addition to giving your reception an added dose of warmth, depth, and richness, your guests will love the way Ultra Violet uplighting plays up their features—and your photographer’s camera will love it, too.
photos: John Cain Photography
6. Go all out. Table numbers, charger plates, seating cards, linens, bridesmaid gowns…and a firework-filled exit! If you’ve got a preference for purple, why not give it the primary spot on your color palette? Use luxe textiles and metallic accents to play up Ultra Violet’s elegance. This will ensure that your design scheme reads as both elevated and sophisticated (with absolutely zero relation to a certain purple dinosaur who shall not be named).
To learn more about how to create the looks featured here and start planning your own Dallas or destination wedding, please get in touch using our client inquiry contact form. Find daily wedding and event inspiration by following us on Instagram and Pinterest.